Part of the  

Chip Design Magazine

Network

About  |  Contact

Supporting Education to Build the Future of EDA

Gabe Moretti, Senior Editor

A grown industry looks at the future, not just to short term income.  EDA is demonstrating to be such an industry with significant participation by its members to foster and support the education of its future developers and users through educational licenses and other projects that foster education.

A couple of months ago I received a press release from Dassault Systemes a French EDA vendor.  Dassault is one of the most important French companies and I remember visiting them to promote what is now Mentor Graphics Expedition PCB product when I was with VeriBest.  At the time Dassault Systemes was their internal CAD developer, but it has grown and started selling their own products.   The company has also focused in supporting education and now has more than 100,000 users of SOLIDWORKS Education Edition.  The latest version includes numerous new additions to its 3D design software applications portfolio, delivering a rich array of offerings that further the ability of students to design, including 3D CAD, Simulation, Product Data Management, Technical Communication and Electrical Design.

What as attracted my attention is that the tool is also used to develop robotic applications, including drones.  Academic users are part of an organization called SOLIDWORKS Associates, and many American universities belong to it.  One of the many new features of the present version is a collection of Teaching Guides and lessons to provide educators with additional support for developing Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) curriculum.  Qualified schools are given SOLIDWORKS Student Edition licenses at no charge for use by their students outside the classroom. In addition, schools with a SOLIDWORKS Education subscription can become Certified SOLIDWORKS Academic Exam Providers and administer the Certified SOLIDWORKS Associate (CSWA) exam to their students.

“The world needs engineers, innovators, and design leaders.  Dassault Systemes is committed to improving STEM education and bringing those next generation leaders to the forefront,” said Bertrand Sicot, CEO, SOLIDWORKS, Dassault Systemes. “The SOLIDWORKS education community is full of SAE Collegiate Design Series competitors and FIRST Robotics winners.”

Beginning with the introduction of the new version all FIRST Robotics teams have become eligible for a SOLIDWORKS Robotics Sponsorship, which is based on and includes SOLIDWORKS Education Edition 2014-2015.

What Dassault Systemes does to support education is just one example of the involvement of EDA vendors in providing students with tools that help them familiarize themselves with what the industry does.